Monday, December 14, 2009

Evolution

Evolution doesn't get taught where I live. I remember the day that we talked about evolution in my sophomore biology class, it was the same day that one of my classmates accidentally said "orgasm" instead of "organism" while reading aloud. If it hadn't been for my colleague's mistake, I probably wouldn't remember discussing evolution at all. Actually, using the word discuss is being generous. My teacher probably spent 20 seconds on the subject and the information that was given to us, was given with a wink because we know how it really happened, right? God did it! I didn't get a dose of evolution in college, either, not even in the more advanced life science classes that I took like zoology and botany.

Religion robbed me of learning about a major concept in science and in life. If I had been taught about evolution in high school, I think it is entirely possible that I would have given up religion much sooner than I did. I'm sure that this is exactly the reason so much pressure is put on teachers and college instructors. Evolution is a step toward giving religion up, knowledge IS power. If religion can keep its hooks in a person through to adulthood, it's more likely that the person will continue to blindly follow its outdated dogma.

Needless to say, everything that I have learned about evolution so far, I have taught to myself. This hasn't been much of a problem for me, but for the kids who have come through the educational system after me, this is an issue. These kids have to compete in an increasingly global world, where the rest of the world is being taught evolution. The children who have come after me also have to compete with kids from different areas of the U.S., where evolution is taught. Not only is competition a problem, but some of these kids are becoming doctors, nurses and medical technicians. I certainly want to be treated by a doctor who not only understands evolution but believes it happens.

Sadly, I do not see things changing here any time soon. As a parent with children in school, I've found that the people who are supposed to be teaching evolution won't fight to teach it because they are afraid of losing their jobs and the rest of the teachers who should be teaching evolution, won't because they are creationists! I wish I had an answer for the big picture, a way to get evolution into schools, but I don't. The best that I can do is to educate myself and then to educate my children and to speak up even though I am in the minority on the subject.

Religion keeps us in the dark ages while the rest of the world marches right on past us. Very sad, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be nice, please.